The LT®3081 is a 1.5A low dropout linear regulator designed for rugged industrial applications. Key features of the IC are the extended safe operating area (SOA), output current monitor, temperature monitor and programmable current limit. The LT3081 can be paralleled for higher output current or heat spreading. The device withstands reverse input and reverse output-to-input voltages without reverse current flow.
The LT3081’s precision 50μA reference current source allows a single resistor to program output voltage to any level between zero and 34.5V. The current reference architecture makes load regulation independent of output voltage. The LT3081 is stable with or without input and output capacitors.
The output current monitor (IOUT/5000) and die junction temperature output (1μA/°C) provide system monitoring and debug capability. In addition, a single resistor programs current limit.
Internal protection circuitry includes reverse-battery and reverse-current protection, current limiting and thermal limiting. The LT3081 is offered in the 16-lead TSSOP (with exposed pad for improved thermal performance), 7-lead TO-220, 7-lead DD-Pak, and an 12-lead 4mm × 4mm DFN.
- Extended Safe Operating Area
- Maximum Output Current: 1.5A
- Stable with or without Input/output Capacitors
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 1.2V to 36V
- Single Resistor Sets Output Voltage
- Output Current Monitor: IMON = IOUT/5000
- Junction Temperature Monitor: 1μA/°C
- Output Adjustable to 0V
- 50μA SET Pin Current: 1% Initial Accuracy
- Output Voltage Noise: 27μVRMS
- Parallel Multiple Devices for Higher Current or Heat Spreading
- Programmable Current Limit
- Reverse-Battery and Reverse-Current Protection