Here you will learn how to create an internet controlled robot or other installation using Livebots.
Livebots is a project I’m working on which consists of an easy to use website for all the robots that people can interact with through the internet.
As an example I will be using a simple Arduino UNO with a LED connected to an Raspberry Pi to show you the concept, but of course you can use anything that can be receive messages by the serial port and any computer you would like.
Here is it:
And here is another example:
Step 1: Program the arduino
Attached is a simple arduino program that reads the messages form the serial port and lights the LED when they contain “HIGH” and turns it off when “LOW”.
Feel free to adapt it to your own needs.
Step 2: Add the robot to the Livebots website
Start by creating an account (http://livebots.cc/Account/Register).
Click Add a Robot and upload your bot’s picture (http://livebots.cc/Upload/1).
Then you can add your robot information that will appear on the robot’s page.
Step 3: Install PySerial
1. Download and click open: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyserial/
2. Unzip and untar the files
3. Install pySerial. On a terminal window, navigate to the folder where you have the files and run the following command:
sudo python setup.py install
For more info on how to do this on raspberry pi go here:
Step 4: Get Livebots Python Class
We have a respository for the pyhon code we use to control the robots, you can find it here: https://bitbucket.org/XicoMBD/livebots
In order to use it to control your own robot just follow this steps:
1. Download livebots.py from the repository and save it somewhere convenient
2. Open the terminal window and navigate to the folder where you saved the class
3. Run python:
4. Import the library:
>>>from livebots import *
5. Create the livebot (Enter the Livebot number on the first field and the serial port name on the second):